Saturday, August 13, 2005

Smoking...

Image hosted by flickr.com

I have an admission to make. I haven't written the Cognoscenti on my own. I've had the help of some very special friends to assist me with some of the more challenging and complicated arguments that I've been trying to make. Those friends... those dear, dear pals of mine... those comrades in difficult moments... are soon to be a thing of the past.

Yes, I have decided to say goodbye... to my beloved cigarettes.

Sadly, my long, rambling Cognoscenti posts will no longer be written in the comfort of a tobacco cloud circling around my head. No longer will I be able to turn to that euphoric buzz of addiction satiation in the most trying contemplative moments. Oh, such good times... I already feel nostalgic.

I'm 26 and I started smoking again two years ago, after previously quiting two years before that. It's ironic that California's strict smoking restrictions did nothing to combat my bad habit. Unfortunately, my propensity for volatile Los Angelean females offset those disincentives with a large dose of stress and anxiety.

So to cut a long story short I've really decided to quit. I'm saying so here in the hope that it will make me take this attempt more seriously. I want to make the most of my life, and whatever time I am afforded, and smoking on into my thirties doesn't exactly serve those sincere intentions. I'll put a little icon in the sidebar to chart my progress so anyone reading this can verbally abuse me if I let myself down.

That would be helpful :).